“Our mind is capable of passing beyond the dividing line we have drawn for it. Beyond the pairs of opposites of which the world consists, new insights begin.” –Herman HesseDoorways, portals, gates and thresholds have served throughout history as the potent objects and symbols of superstition, rites and rituals (1), psychological development, and transcendent religious experience.We commonly refer to windows of opportunity, doorways to the future, and open-door policies. Some say we must open a door at midnight to allow evil spirits to depart and that the first person to open the door on Christmas morning will have good luck. It’s bad luck, some believe, to leave a house by a different door than the one used to enter the house or to eat in front of a door.Brides, writes Tad Tuleja, are not carried over the threshold because they’re incapable of walking into a house or because the groom is simply being a gentleman, but “because, as a stranger, she was taboo. It was only after she had actually entered the room–after she had, in effect, been sneaked past the guard–that the contagion of taboo was considered lifted.” (2)Important thresholds in both psychology and transcendent mythology typically have guardians…. Read full this story
- The Clash's 40 greatest songs – ranked!
- 20 investigated for murder in clash with Hanoi police
- Iran and impeachment stir huge clash on Capitol Hill
- Marvel, ‘John Wick’ fans clash after ‘Avengers: Endgame’ wins at Critics’ Choice
- Violence rocks Bengal, bandh peaceful elsewhere
- "India-Pakistan Suit": Chris Gayle Gears Up For Mega World Cup 2019 Clash
- 2 Palestinians dead in clashes over Trump's Jerusalem move
- Dave Grohl on the Foos’ Tour, Classic-Rock Retirements and Lost Nirvana Reunion Footage
- India police clash with armed supporters of wanted ‘godman’
- BJP, Left supporters clash in Jadavpur; baton charged
From Superstition to Clashing Rocks have 293 words, post on ezinearticles.com at July 6, 2005. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.