NEW YORK (AP) Will the snowy New York City area really reap an estimated $600 million economic boost from the Super Bowl? Probably not.Despite such lofty predictions, sports economists say the financial impact of the Super Bowl could fall far below expectations, in part because visitors often spend their cash at NFL-sponsored or corporate events rather than at tourist attractions. Some hotels say Super Bowl bookings are running behind what they hoped for, prompting them to ease demands for minimum stays and room deposits. And academic studies show that at best, past Super Bowls generated tens of millions, not hundreds of millions.”Move the decimal point one place to the left,” said Robert Baade, a professor at Lake Forest College in Illinois, who has studied the Super Bowl’s impact on local economies. ”The NFL says $500 or $600 million? I think $50 to $60 million would be a generous appraisal of what the Super Bowl generates.”The NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee, which has worked closely with the NFL to prepare for the Feb. 2 game, has claimed in the yearslong run-up that it would generate $500 to $600 million for the region, but it refused to provide any information on how… Read full this story
- NFL to give 50 free Super Bowl LVI tickets to vaccinated fans
- Super Bowl wins by team
- Where The Bucs Can Improve On Offense After Super Bowl Season
- The Fed Can Neither Leave Out The ‘Punch Bowl,’ Nor Take It Away
- Commentary: Super League was the last straw for football fans
- Suburban Home Sales Boom as People Move Out of N.Y.C.
- Tribeca Film Festival Returns In Person, Offering Hope For NYC And Potential For Deals
- Booming property prices have pushed household wealth to record levels
- KKR vs CSK, IPL 2020: Bowlers Shine, Help Kolkata Knight Riders Defeat Chennai Super Kings By 10 Runs At Abu Dhabi
- Why markets are booming in Covid times
A Super Bowl economic boom for NYC? No so much… have 305 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 26, 2014. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.