There is nothing more galling to loyal fans, more creatively bankrupt, more wholly unnecessary than the “revamp”—taking a beloved property and giving it a splashy makeover that renders it nigh-unrecognizable, all in the patently desperate hope to appeal to a new audience and extend its lifespan. Except maybe, sometimes it’s… fine? It all turns out… okay? In fact, this very Inventory is itself a revamp of one we did the last time The A.V. Club underwent a major redesign, and we still found enough new examples of revived properties that might have sounded like a terrible idea at first, but they actually turned out… good? Pretty great, even? It just goes to show, sometimes it’s worth giving it a shot. 1. 21 Jump Street (2012) So many TV-to-film adaptations are terrible that audiences were understandably dubious of a 21 Jump Street movie, especially after the empty doldrums of Dukes Of Hazzard, Land Of The Lost, and Wild Wild West. Defying all expectations, the 2012 film turned out to be a brilliant send-up of reboots themselves, with directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller both paying homage to and riffing on the source material, while also openly commenting on the entire, unimaginative… Read full this story
- Surface Book 2 15-inch review: The ultimate Windows laptop gets bigger and better
- Dell XPS 15 (9570) vs. LG gram 15Z980: Form or function?
- Dell XPS 13 vs. Dell XPS 15: Which should you buy?
- Comments for : Korean analyst: the LG G4 might not sell better than the G3
- Wacom Bamboo Tip review: A pricey fine-tip stylus that works on all touchscreens
- MacBook Air Rumors: Apple Inc. May Unveil Redesigned Notebook, 15-Inch Model During WWDC 2016
- 6 reasons to buy Dell XPS 15 9570 and 2 reasons to pass
- An all-new Inspire drone from DJI could be flying into view on November 15
- Best Accessories for Dell XPS 15 in 2018
- You’ll be able to turn GE’s new LEDs on and off with Siri
It’ll be fine: 15 revamps that turned out better than expected have 313 words, post on www.avclub.com at July 11, 2017. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.