Torrential rain has forced dozens of families from their homes and caused disruption across the north-west of England, prompting a local MP to accuse the government of dragging its feet over £25m of flood defences promised two years ago. Lancaster and the nearby village of Galgate were the worst-affected areas, with 70 people rescued by firefighters and 27 people evacuated from their homes as rivers burst their banks and drains overflowed. Emergency services said they received 500 flood-related calls and attended 100 incidents in Lancashire overnight. Tim Farron, the former Liberal Democrat leader whose Cumbrian constituency was affected on Thursday, said the situation had been made worse because work had not yet started on schemes promised by ministers in the aftermath of Storm Desmond in December 2015. He said: “There’s dozens and dozens of things that ought to have been done – some of it is really easy, some of it is more complicated – and none of it has happened. It just feels like we had a load of sympathy and an offer of money when it happened two years ago and then the government has just dragged its feet, despite the fact that I’ve nagged them.” Farron said… Read full this story
- North-west Queensland's rental market squeezed as FIFO workers move locally to keep jobs
- North West Star to stop publishing print edition until end of June
- Kim Kardashian reveals her six-year-old daughter North West has been 'running the house' during self-isolation: 'I can't get away from her'
- Explosion of coronavirus cases in Tasmania's north-west should serve as warning, experts say
- Coronavirus cases associated with outbreak in Tasmania's north-west 'trailing off', authorities say
- Coronavirus tally up by four, as more cases found in Tasmania's north-west
- Tasmanian Premier warns north-west coronavirus restrictions may be extended
- Elderly man becomes 10th Tasmanian to die from coronavirus, ninth north-west victim
- Kim Kardashian shares never-before-seen snaps from Paris of herself 'twinning' with daughter North West
- West Virginia city criticized for plans to clear encampment
Floods in north-west England prompt criticism over missing defences have 329 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 23, 2017. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.