One of Indianapolis’ beloved news anchors is stepping out of the limelight on Friday, Dec. 1.WISH-TV’s Dave Barras is retiring after more than 37 years with the television station’s news team. Or in his words 1,949 weeks working at WISH-TV.Barras announced his retirement in August. According to WISH-TV, Barras was a Chicago native and Miami University graduate. He struggled to find a job out coming out of college and started selling cars to earn enough money for graduate school at Ball State University.An unpaid internship in 1979 led to a permanent position on July 21, 1980 as the assignment reporter for nights and weekends.When Barras first started at WISH-TV, the human resources department gave him an anticipated retirement date: Dec. 1, 2017.”‘Are you kidding me? I can’t even think that far ahead,'” he remembered saying. “‘That’s crazy.’ But, yet, here it is.”Barras just celebrated his 65th birthday on Nov. 22.Barras’ wife, Kathy, retired in August of this year as an analyst at the U.S. Defense Finance and Accounting Service in Lawrence, according to WISH-TV. Later that month, the pair celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary.WISH-TV said Barras plans to spend more time with his family and enjoy some traveling, including a likely cruise of the Panama Canal.”We’re… Read full this story
- San Antonio TV anchors adore their pets
- Fun facts about local TV anchors
- WISH-TV fires Derek Daly in latest fallout over Bob Lamey's racial slur
- $2 million challenge grant offered to cancer group founded by TV anchor Melodie Wilson
- 4K TV: Should you get one this year? Here's how to decide
- Dave Ward coming back to KTRK
- After 30 years anchoring, John McCaa announces he’ll retire from WFAA in 2019
- WNBC anchor Chuck Scarborough leaving late-night job after 42 years for earlier shift
- Harold Johnson abruptly left his TV job in 2006. Here’s what the ‘Big Guy’ is up to.
WISH-TV anchor Dave Barras to retire after 37 years have 309 words, post on www.indystar.com at November 27, 2017. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.