0 Have your say Theresa May will use an appearance at the Davos business summit today to demand that tech firms automatically remove content that promotes extremism and spreads child abuse.In a speech to the World Economic Forum at the exclusive Swiss mountain resort, the Prime Minister will call on financial investors to demand greater action from web giants in the fight against terrorism online.Mrs May will praise the transformational role of technology, but warn companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter that they risk losing public support unless they take on greater social responsibility and address the impact of their own services.“Technology companies still need to go further in stepping up to their responsibilities for dealing with harmful and illegal online activity,” the Prime Minister is expected to say.“These companies simply cannot stand by while their platforms are used to facilitate child abuse, modern slavery or the spreading of terrorist and extremist content.”Research published earlier this week found that 70 per cent of the public agree that social media companies don’t do enough to stop illegal or unethical behaviour.The Edelman Trust Barometer also found that nearly a third of those questioned disagree with the statement that social media is a… Read full this story
- EU unveils landmark law curbing power of tech giants
- EU brings in new rules that could see Google, Facebook, Amazon and other tech giants broken up or fined up to 10% of their annual turnover
- Plans to clamp down on online abuse leave tech giants to 'mark own homework'
- Facebook, Twitter face British fines if they fail on removing harmful content
- EU moves to rein in U.S. tech giants with threat of fines, break-up
- Tech giants prepare for business threats under strict new EU laws
- Opinion: EU takes on tech giants
- EU threatens to break up tech giants under sweeping new proposals
- Nine slams concessions made to Google and Facebook in world-first laws forcing them to pay for news they use - saying tech giants pay little tax, employ few workers and often have a negative impact on Aussie culture
- What do tech giants know about you? A new tool shows you just how much
Theresa May tells tech giants to remove harmful web content have 355 words, post on www.scotsman.com at January 25, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.