Unlocked and loaded: About 4.6 million children in the United States live in homes where guns are kept unlocked and loaded, as more people come to believe – despite scientific evidence to the contrary – that a home with a gun is a safer home, according to a new analysis in the Journal of Urban Health. That’s about 7 percent of children, or double the previous estimate from 2002. It’s a startling trend when viewed against the news of the week: Officials have said the guns allegedly used by Dimitrios Pagourtzis to kill 10 classmates and teachers at Santa Fe High School in Texas belonged to his father. Nora Biette-Timmons of The Trace notes that a 2004 analysis of school shootings found that 65 percent of perpetrators used a relative’s gun. Also: Gun owners and non-gun owners agree on a host of gun control measures, including universal background checks, stronger safety standards for concealed carry permits and accountability for gun dealers, a survey found. –– This long read by Eli Saslow in The Washington Post, about one teenager’s effort to talk gun control in her conservative Wyoming town, is well worth your time. –– And this: Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo posted on Facebook after the shooting… Read full this story
- The Little Kid That Hunts - Kids & Guns
- The Distribution of Global Capital: 3 Billion People Lives on $2/day
- Children and Gun Safety
- Entertaining America - The Staggering Cost in Dollars and Lives
- Helping Criminals - Inviting Them Into Our Lives
- Cats Have Nine Lives? Ours Has Used Up At Least Three Of Them
- New Million Pixel Sites Extend Original Concept
- How The Bombing of Africa Can Save Millions from Dying
- The Keys to Successful Living
- Shoot a Gun While Sitting on My Horse?
Nearly 5 Million Kids Live With Guns Unlocked and Loaded have 280 words, post on www.fairwarning.org at May 22, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.