Email 7.30 By Annabel Crabb Updated May 17, 2018 20:32:46 Photo: Prince Harry and his bride-to-be Meghan Markle. (Reuters: Andrew Milligan) Related Story: Six reasons Meghan Markle divides people — even Americans Related Story: Who is father-of-the-Royal-bride Thomas Markle? Related Story: Palace calls for ‘respect’ amid reports Meghan Markle’s dad won’t attend wedding Related Story: What time is the Royal wedding and how can I watch? Map: United Kingdom This weekend’s wedding is something of a PR coup for the British royal family, in that it introduces a welcome African American note into a previously whiter-than-white bloodline and nudges the Royal household toward a closer resemblance of the diverse country over which it rules.But it could not come at a more turbulent time for British race relations.As the town of Windsor undergoes its obligatory pre-nuptial primping and the nation opens its arms to an American woman of colour, British politics is grappling with an ugly immigration scandal that has seen black Britons deported, raising claims that Britishness is still, at heart, a pretty pale affair.Home Secretary Sajid Javid this week confirmed that 63 members of the “Windrush Generation” — a flood of Afro-Caribbean migrants who arrived by ship from Commonwealth… Read full this story
- Royal wedding: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to use carriage previously used by Pippa Middleton
- Who will Prince Harry & Meghan Markle invite to the royal wedding?
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and Their Christmas Conundrum
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle interview: behind-the-scenes photos
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's blind date matchmaker revealed
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle pick Britain's Got Talent star for royal wedding
- Clarence House confirms Prince Harry & Meghan Markle are engaged
- Prince Harry’s ex Ellie Goulding will invite royal cousins Beatrice and Eugenie to her wedding – but Harry & Meghan Markle unlikely to be there
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle join Kate & Wills in sweet tributes to the Queen on her 72nd wedding anniversary
- Not a happy beginning: Royal experts believe Prince Harry-Meghan's relationship shocked William & Kate
Royal wedding: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's nuptials 'a big statement' in a time of turbulent race relations have 320 words, post on www.abc.net.au at May 17, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.