An Iranian women’s activist said she was stripped of a banner at the World Cup in Russia on Wednesday and blocked from a stadium for two hours after an earlier demonstration drew international headlines.Maryam Qashqaei Shojaei said she was held for two hours by security officials at the main stadium in Kazan ahead of the match between Iran and Spain, having planned to raise a banner to protest Iran’s ban on women attending stadium matches.”When I was trying to get in with my banner security told me I can’t take it in,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation by phone from Kazan. Read More https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/iranian-women-take-on-stadium-ban-at-world-cup-61936 “I showed them my approval. They searched me and held me two hours and took the banner.”Anton Lisin, a spokesman for Russia’s World Cup Local Organizing Committee (LOC), said he was aware of an incident involving Shojaei but had no further details.A spokeswoman for FIFA said world football’s governing body was looking into the matter as were the LOC and Russian public security authorities.”We can confirm that banners supporting female presence in the stadiums in IR Iran were approved by FIFA and the LOC through the formal procedure ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup… Read full this story
- 'We can only help ourselves': women in Belarus take protests into their own hands
- Women's World Cup: Australia label Football Association as 'disrespectful' after vote snub
- The Special Relationship freezes: Trump's secretary of state Mike Pompeo launches furious broadside accusing Britain of 'siding with ayatollahs' in Iran after it helped block tough new sanctions against Tehran
- Are Russia's soccer fans dangerous?
- Beslan mothers detained over anti-Putin protest at ceremony
- Alexei Navalny 'Poisoning' Video Shows Anti-Putin Activist Crying Out in Pain
- Pompeo Regrets UNSC Rejected 'Reasonable' Resolution on Extension of Iran Arms Embargo
- 'Go away': state factory workers join protests against Belarus president
- Belarus prepares for biggest protest yet after week of anger
- Sacred sites under threat from Maules Creek coalmine, Indigenous elders say
Iran Women's Activist Says Blocked From Protesting at Russia World Cup have 332 words, post on themoscowtimes.com at June 21, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.