Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Thomas Oide Globe Correspondent July 03, 2018 When Gabriela Taveras got into a fender bender just minutes before she had to check in for the Miss Massachusetts pageant, she didn’t get flustered. In fact, she didn’t even get miffed.The car accident was simply a microcosm of her life: She took it in stride and made the best of the situation. Taveras chose to embody the platform she used to eventually win the competition: Face Everything and Rise. Taveras, who is of Dominican, Haitian, and Chinese descent, on Sunday became the first woman of color to win the Miss Massachusetts competition. She’ll participate in the Miss America pageant, which airs Sept. 9 on ABC. Advertisement “I couldn’t believe it,” Taveras said of her win at the Hanover Theatre in Worcester. “I couldn’t see anybody and I couldn’t hear anything. All I remember is saying ‘I can’t believe I did it, I can’t believe I did it!’ ” Get The Weekender in your inbox: The Globe’s top picks for what to see and do each weekend, in Boston and beyond. Thank you for signing… Read full this story
- 'Proud Transgender Woman of Color' Wins Miss Nevada USA Pageant
- Miss Nevada USA Becomes First Transgender Woman To Win
- Miss Nevada Kataluna Enriquez Makes History as First Transgender Woman to Win Pageant - E! Online
- Trans woman wins Miss Nevada, now set to compete in Miss USA: reports
- Miss Nevada USA becomes first transgender woman to win the pageant
- Transgender Woman Wins Miss Nevada Pageant, Poised to Take on Miss USA
- Will Roshmitha Harimurthy win Miss Universe this year?
- A 'Celebration Of Womanhood': Transgender Competitor Wins Miss Nevada USA
- Sha'Carri Richardson notches colorful win at Olympic trials
- Barbora Krejcikova wins French Open title and pays tribute to late coach Jana Novotna
Gabriela Taveras becomes first woman of color to win Miss Massachusetts title have 314 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at July 3, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.