Transportation officials are assessing safety concerns at a Big Island lava tube, which residents say has become an increasingly popular tourist destination. Transportation officials are assessing safety concerns at a Big Island lava tube, which residents say has become an increasingly popular tourist destination. The Huehue lava tube is on the mountain side of the Queen Kaahumanu Highway about 2 miles north of the Kona airport, West Hawaii Today reported Tuesday. Visitors park along both sides of the road and cross the highway, sometimes creating an unsafe environment as traffic passes through the 55 mph zone. With the closures of the main area of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and other popular sites because of the Kilauea volcano, the lava tube appears to be busier. “It’s getting progressively worse in a rapid period of time,” resident Dolena Brand said. “In a couple of months, it went from a couple cars to 30, 40, 50 and just it keeps climbing.” Kona-area residents driving on the road have reported near misses with visitors crossing the highway or cars pulling onto the road. “It’s a safety hazard,” Kona resident David Baldwin said. “I’ve had children walking across the highway; people doing U-turns. They just… Read full this story
- Survey: Coloradans happy with State Patrol, but not traffic safety
- DOT cancels plan to open Kailua-bound Pali Highway this afternoon, citing safety concerns
- Thurston Lava Tube could open this year
- The importance of traffic safety in MCB9
- $2 million project set to improve traffic safety around Mount Vernon Road Hy-Vee
- Students express off-campus housing safety concerns
- Motorcycle lane-splitting bill reignites debate over safety concerns
- Higher operating pressure prompts new safety concerns over Sunoco's Mariner East 2X pipelineYou may also be interested in...
- High stakes for Surmodics as safety concerns swirl over certain drug-coated stents
- 'Road diets' lead to safety concerns for emergency response
Traffic safety concerns at lava tube assessed have 298 words, post on www.staradvertiser.com at August 23, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.