PELHAM — The towns of Buckland, Chester, Conway, Hardwick, Huntington, Montague, Northfield, Pelham and Shelburne now have vastly expanded internet access. Standing in front of a Comcast-branded backdrop, Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito joined corporate executives and local officials at the Pelham library Thursday to celebrate the completion of the Broadband Extension Program. Comcast had previously deemed it uneconomic to provide service to most areas of the rural towns, but the company agreed to expand its cable network to 1,089 new premises with a $4 million grant from the state. The grant required that 96 percent of the rural premises be reached. Comcast, in the end, connected 1,303 new premises, “20 percent more than originally planned,” officials said. “We were pleased to work with Comcast, who met the two-year timeline we set to deliver critical 21st-century broadband connections to more homes and businesses,” said Polito in a press release. She said the program “is a great example of a public-private partnership working extremely well to create more opportunities and access for Massachusetts residents.” Michael Parker, senior vice president for Comcast’s Western New England region, said the company is committed to bringing “high-speed internet access, including Gigabit service” to more residents and… Read full this story
- Broadband expansion part of proposed Kewaunee County budget
- Three Beds NHS staff attend Westminster Abbey for official celebration to mark NHS 70th birthday
- Broadband expansion will empower rural Iowa
- Space-savers in the summer? It’s a thing in this Massachusetts town
- 'We're just as patriotic as the other side': Valdez celebrates Democratic values at rural campaign office
- Celebrating Sir Fulke Greville in his home town
- Elected officials celebrate women veterans, military families
- Temperatures to feel as hot as 104 degrees in Massachusetts Tuesday
- Comcast expands Internet Essentials to all low-income households
- Is Comcast's new wireless service right for you?
Officials celebrate Comcast broadband expansion in 9 rural Western Massachusetts towns have 300 words, post on www.masslive.com at September 7, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.