By Paul Gackle | [email protected] | Bay Area News GroupNovember 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm SAN JOSE — Joe Thornton tends to project a ho-hum attitude when it comes to the collection of remarkable milestones he’s stacking up. Earlier this week, when he became the seventh player in NHL history to score 400 goals, record 1,000 assists and play in 1,500 games, he couldn’t even name another player on the list. The one guy that he assumed was in the club, Wayne Gretzky, actually fell 13 games short of joining the group. But when Thornton discovered who he could tie for 11th place on the NHL’s all-time assists list with a helper in the Sharks (10-7-3) showdown with the St. Louis Blues (7-7-3) at SAP Center Saturday, he was flooded with humility. He never imagined being mentioned in the same sentence as one of his childhood heroes, Mario Lemieux. “I shouldn’t be up there with that guy,” said Thornton, who’s picked up 1,032 NHL assists in his 20-year career. “He’s the man. I had a poster in my bedroom of that guy when I was a kid. You can argue that he’s the greatest player ever.” Get Sharks news in… Read full this story
- Is This The End For Joe Thornton And The Sharks As We Know Them?
- Ryan Reaves Wasn't Going To Let Joe Thornton Face A Suspension Without Getting In A Burn
- Classmates: Ohio shooter kept a ‘hit list’ and a ‘rape list’
- Church warden, 28, is found guilty of murdering university lecturer, 69, but cleared of conspiring to kill another lover, 83 - as it emerges he had hit list of 100 targets including his own parents to exploit for cash or accommodation
- The Sound of Silence: Interview With Kensei Fujinaga and Joe Kelly About 'The Quiet Man'
- No Man's Sky update pushes game to top of the Steam charts
- MovieBob's 10 Reasons 'Into the Spider-Verse' Is the Best Spider-Man Movie Ever
- 'He's sticking up two fingers to the country': Fury at Cameron's resignation honours list which gives gongs to 'cronies', his wife's stylist and aide who put Osborne on a diet
- When Joe Biden Chose the Wrong Side of History
- 'We're not electing a planner': Joe Biden snipes at Elizabeth Warren's 'I have a plan for that' campaign as she overtakes him in Democratic primary polls
Next up on Joe Thornton’s hit list: the player he calls ‘the man’ have 378 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at November 17, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.