Email ABC Radio National By Farz Edraki Updated December 07, 2018 13:53:34 Photo: Artist EO Gill reimagines the traditional family portrait. This one is of a couple with their daughter, and her sperm donor father. (Supplied: EO Gill) Related Story: LGBTQIA glossary: Common gender and sexuality terms explained Map: Sydney 2000 Mention “family portraits” to anyone in December and you’re likely to conjure images of makeshift photography studios in shopping centres: stiff collars and reindeer jumpers, forced smiles, saccharine poses.But Sydney-based artist EO Gill is redefining what family portraits can — and should — look like.Gill’s portraits are dazzling and defiant, set against hyper-real, dream-like landscapes — everything from oceans with dark-red sand to mountains with pink-blue, ethereal hues.Gold capes, Superman onesies, candy-pink wigs and yellow face paint: nothing is off-limits.”I want to fracture and dismantle the hetero-nuclear family as the dominant model in which society feels pressure to strive for and become,” Gill says.”I want alternative family models to feel welcome, wanted, respected and validated within the wider community.”To this end, Gill photographed “culturally and gender diverse families”, including single parents, same-sex parents and a lesbian couple with their child and sperm-donor father. Reimagining ‘the family portrait’ Photo: Gill’s… Read full this story
- Carolyn Hax: We broke up then he died but his family might want these photos
- Win a seaside holiday to bring the family back together
- Honor our mothers by giving them the paid family leave they deserve
- A conversation with this week's Pittsburgh City Paper cover artist Marcel Walker
- They’re SO Hot Right Now – Young African Artists You Need to Know!
- Hundreds of people have gone missing in N.J. Here's what their families have to say.
- Put a little Birdhouse in your soul with a summer of family fun
- East High student with mom in prison to graduate: 'I want to be more'
- Parents want crackdown on party bags after 'a third know kids injured by toys'
- 10 fun family things to do in Plymouth city centre this weekend
The artist reimagining family photos wants 'alternative family models to feel welcome' have 330 words, post on www.abc.net.au at December 7, 2018. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.