President Trump is planning to address the nation from the Oval Office tonight, and plans a Thursday visit to the southern border in a double-play attempt to pitch the public on the need for a border wall, an issue that has left parts of the government closed since Dec. 22 in a shutdown that some estimate at costing the U.S. half a billion dollars a day. Trump also indicated that he might declare a “national emergency” at the border; this would be the fourth he has issued. Here’s what Trump could do if he declares a state of emergency, from seizing control of the internet to declaring martial law. ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC have agreed to Trump’s request for the lucrative prime-time slot. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has formally invited Trump to deliver a State of the Union address on January 29.[Maggie Haberman, Michael M. Grynbaum and Eileen Sullivan / The New York Times] [Want to get the Recode Daily in your inbox? Subscribe here.] The Internal Revenue Service will pay tax refunds, even though the agency is subject to ongoing federal government shutdown, after the Trump administration reversed a longstanding policy. Even if the impasse over… Read full this story
- Trump Is Rushing to Make His Border Wall Look Like a Success Before November
- Donald Trump's Valentine's gift is a national emergency over border wall funding
- The private border wall being built on the Rio Grande
- Trump Likely to Accept Defeat on Wall Funding – and Claim He’ll Get His Money Elsewhere
- Trump Reportedly Makes Jared Kushner Manager of Border Wall Construction
- 'Love, Not Hate, Will Make America Great': Martin Luther King Jr.'s Son Responds to Pence Using MLK Quote to Push Donald Trump's Border Wall
- Delingpole: How President Trump Can Beat St Greta and Save the Planet
- Tropical trip: President Trump slams Democrats for attending Puerto Rico retreat during government shutdown
- Sen. Van Hollen: President Trump violated the law by withholding the aid
- MSNBC is in talks to sign ex-Fox News host Shepard Smith as the network 'considers bumping Chuck Todd from his prime time slot'
Recode Daily: Major networks will let President Trump make a prime-time pitch for his border wall tonight have 344 words, post on www.recode.net at January 8, 2019. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.