For a third consecutive month, the number of migrant families apprehended by U.S. authorities at the border reached a record high as the Trump administration advocates for more stringent measures to address the recent large-scale migration from Central American countries plagued by violence and poverty. U.S. immigration authorities apprehended or turned back more than 109,000 migrants — including approximately 58,000 families and nearly 9,000 unaccompanied children — along the U.S.-Mexico border last month, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced Wednesday. In total, 98,977 migrants of all categories were apprehended between ports of entry along the border. The figure for families continues a three-month record-setting streak of migrant family apprehensions during President Trump’s tenure. In February — the busiest February for border officials in the last 12 years — more than 36,000 people traveling as families were apprehended along the southwestern border, followed by 53,077 in March, a month in which CBP officials said they reached a “breaking point.” “We cannot address this crisis by simply shifting more resources or building more facilities,” U.S. Border Patrol chief Carla Provost told lawmakers during a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing Wednesday. “It’s like holding a bucket under a faucet. It doesn’t matter how… Read full this story
- Donald Trump's Border Wall: How Much Of The Barrier Has Actually Been Built—And Will It Ever Be Complete?
- Mexican Cartel Targeting Innocents for Ransom Kidnappings near Texas Border
- Monthly Apprehension Numbers Top 100,000 For Second Straight Month
- Altar, Mexico: how the 'migrant oasis' for would-be border crossers became a trap
- The hills are ablaze! Wildfires spark across bone-dry Britain after hottest winter day on record - as Britons bask in last blast of three-day Inferno February
- The World Just Had Another Month of Record Heat
- Liverpool to beat Man City – but Mane to dive, Chelsea run continues and Rashford on fire – football betting tips
- Weekend football betting tips: Liverpool to beat Man City – but Mane to dive, Chelsea run continues and Rashford on fire
- Global stocks close in on record highs on U.S.-China trade deal hopes
- Datebook: Painter Hugo Crosthwaite finds new ways to represent the border region
Border apprehensions continue record streak, climbing to 99,000 in April have 344 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.