By PIUS MAUNDU More by this Author Water Resources Authority (WRA) has cautioned people who depend on River Kiboko in Makueni County against drinking water from the river as it is contaminated with petroleum products.This follows the spillage of an unknown quantity of diesel into the area following a puncture on a section of the new Sh48 billion Mombasa-Nairobi oil pipeline.The water agency declared the water unsafe for drinking on Friday, one month after the spillage was detected, after confirming the presence of grease in multiple shallow wells and water points in the area.REPORT”Following the recent petroleum oil spill from the Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) pipeline about 400 to 500 metres from Kiboko Spring, a precautionary notice is hereby issued to the water users to seek alternative safe water sources pending confirmatory report on the safety of the water,” reads the letter signed by the head of WRA in the region, Mr Stephen Munyao.It is not clear for how long the new pipeline had been leaking before the spillage was detected last month. The repaired area is tucked in a forested area at the source of the seasonal River Kiboko. Related Stories Water authority orders KPC clean-up after leak Advertisement… Read full this story
- The SWAMPS-Élysées! Paris is flooded by the Seine and German shipping is stalled by high water levels under bridges as rivers across Europe burst their banks after torrential downpours
- Karamana turns river of poison
- Severe water pollution clouds the Olympic games in Rio
- Is Germany facing a water shortage crisis?
- Survey to hunt down Periyar polluters
- Heat, sewage pollution caused fish kill
- Water, air sullied as pollution control board drags feet
- The tide of filth: Islands of waste float along rivers, plastic bags hang from trees and a thick layer of junk covers Serbian lake as the Balkans lose their battle with pollution
- PCB to analyse water quality of canals under Kochi Corporation
- NGT slams DJB over Yamuna pollution, says pollutants being discharged continuously
Water agency declares polluted River Kiboko water unsafe have 325 words, post on www.nation.co.ke at May 11, 2019. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.