Radical, provocative, spectacular. When it comes to climate protection, Extinction Rebellion has always pushed protest to its limits. XR, as it is called for short, has brought traffic to a standstill in major cities, dyed rivers green, and stormed semi-naked into parliamentary debates. Now the German wing of XR has begun a new civil disobedience campaign, due to take place across Germany between 12 and 21 June, starting on Friday with the spectacular coloring of the Spree River that runs through the German capital, past government buildings (pictured above.) The protests target the government, ministries, lobbyists, and companies that the activists believe are not doing enough to prevent what they see as a climate emergency that threatens the future of humanity. “We’re blocking the blockers,” XR Germany spokeswoman Annemarie Brotzki tells DW. Read more: Germany unveils hydrogen strategy XR spokeswoman Annemarie Botzki Referring to the peaceful Fridays for Future school strikes against global warming, Brotzki is at pains to emphasize that: “We are drifting towards climate tipping points – developments that can’t be turned back. So, the demonstrations that have been taking place for the last 18 months or so simply don’t go far enough.” 2020, she believes, is a… Read full this story
- Extinction Rebellion: fresh protests to 'shut down' Westminster
- Where are the Extinction Rebellion London protests and how long should they last?
- UK High Court Says Scotland Yard's Ban on Extinction Rebellion's Protests Unlawful
- Extinction Rebellion: 319 protesters arrested as London 'shut down' continues
- Extinction Rebellion’s protest chaos which shut down parts of London has cost taxpayers £37m
- ‘Extinction Rebellion’: Climate Change Activism Shuts Down Central London
- I'm an Extinction Rebellion protester and I'll be disrupting your work commute. Here's why
- Extinction Rebellion keep control of major London sites into a third day
- Police clear Extinction Rebellion protesters from Waterloo Bridge
- Extinction Rebellion: protest lawfully or go home, urges Met police chief
Extinction Rebellion: Climate protest despite coronavirus pandemic have 306 words, post on www.dw.com at January 12, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.