ATHENS (AP) — A fire broke out at a refugee center on the Greek island of Lesbos, Greece’s firefighting service said Sunday, causing considerable damage to a warehouse but no injuries. It was the second fire at an installation built for migrants, after a reception center was burned down by unknown perpetrators last Monday. The warehouse, which contained furniture and electrical appliances, was completely destroyed, a firefighting spokesman told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, because an investigation into the fire is ongoing. The blaze at the refugee center came amid a tense standoff between Turkey and the European Union over who is responsible for the millions of migrants and refugees on Turkish territory and the thousands who have massed recently at the Greek border. Thousands of migrants headed for Turkey’s land border with EU member Greece after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government announced earlier this month that it would no longer prevent migrants and refugees from crossing over into EU countries. Greece has deployed riot police and border guards to repel people trying to enter the country and the Greek border area has since seen violent confrontations between them and the migrants. On Saturday, youths threw rocks… Read full this story
- North Korea-US tensions: How worried should you be?
- 'The devastation is unlike anything we’ve ever seen': Rescuers reveal magnitude of Dorian's destruction as they search flooded homes for victims of the Bahamas' worst ever hurricane that left seven dead
- Australia's Secret History as a White Utopia
- Luka Modric, His Mentor and the Perjury Case That Has Divided Croatia
- Deford on Cosell: ’I’ve Won. I’ve Beat Them.’
- ‘I feel lost. I feel like a child’: The complicated decline of Nick Buoniconti
- Final Report Card Grades for Every NBA Team
- Years After His WWE Glory Days, Gangrel the Vampire Warrior Is Still Chasing His Wrestling Dreams
Amid tensions, fire damages Greek island refugee center have 308 words, post on apnews.com at March 8, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.