Boris Johnson is returning to work in Downing Street today – and it seems he is not the only one amid mounting signs Britons are taking matters into their own hands. The Prime Minister is making a statement to the country before chairing the daily 9.15am ‘war cabinet’ on the pandemic, where the first steps on easing restrictions could be thrashed out. But Mr Johnson is facing a maelstrom over the draconian ‘social distancing’ curbs that have succeeded in stemming the spread of the killer disease, but are also bringing the economy to its knees. There are signs that Britons are starting to vote with their feet, with traffic levels rising, and more shops and constructions sites stepping up activity. Photographs taken during rush hour showed queues building up on London roads including the A40 at Perivale and the A102 at Greenwich, while the M5 in Bristol and the M6 in Walsall were also busy with cars, vans and lorries. Meanwhile rail commuters continue to pile onto London Underground trains as travel bosses carry on running a reduced service only for key workers, with Canning Town and Canada Water stations both busy this morning. Mobility data from Apple based on requests… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson warns the EU he is willing to TEAR UP parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol unless Brussels agrees to ease trade rules after telling Arlene Foster the Government will do 'everything we can' to make the border run smoothly
- Boris Johnson reveals schools won't reopen until at least MARCH 8 as he extends lockdown by another three weeks - but tries to quell mounting Tory anger with pledge of 'road map' out of curbs
- Boris Johnson told Ursula von der Leyen the EU's planned vaccines blockade of Northern Ireland could KILL British pensioners by preventing them getting a second jab in 'spicy' phone calls that forced Brussels to abandon the 'nuclear option'
- Boris Johnson reveals huge list of areas where even primary schools must SHUT until at least January 18 to all but vulnerable children and kids of key workers - and warns some secondary school pupils could stay at home INDEFINITELY
- Brexit deal is DONE: Boris Johnson SEALS historic Brexit deal with EU as UK claims to have won TWICE as many concessions as Brussels and von der Leyen laments 'parting is such sweet sorrow'
- Clap for Captain Tom at 6pm tonight: Boris Johnson will lead national round of applause straight after the 5pm press conference as MPs observe minute's silence
- Boris Johnson pushes to reopen schools after 'being told by Chris Whitty that the current wave has been declining for a week' – as vaccine drive motors on and officials prepare to send invites to Over-65s next week despite new fears over SA variant
- Boris Johnson's 10-year plan: PM vows to 'take Britain forward' as he unveils Queen's Speech to enshrine £34bn NHS funding bonanza in law, boost police powers and tighten borders
- Boris Johnson says he is 'optimistic' summer holidays WILL happen as he insists Covid lockdown is working and vaccines ARE effective against variants with report hailing 'stabilising' cases - but warns UK must keep 'foot on the throat of the beast'
- Boris Johnson wants lockdown exercise rules relaxed as busy Brits throng the streets but shops, gyms and hairdressers could stay shut until April and pubs might not open until May
Boris Johnson starts his first day back at work and he's not the only one! 'War cabinet' to discuss moves to relax lock-down as crowded rush-hour roads this morning show more and more Britons are voting with their feet have 551 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at April 26, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.