A new leader and the end of Brexit as an election issue will not be enough for Labour to win back power, a review of the party’s 2019 defeat has warned.The Labour Together project says the party has a “mountain to climb” after slumping to its lowest number of seats since 1935 in December’s poll.It says the historic defeat had been a “long time coming” and deep-seated changes were needed.Labour will have been out of power for 14 years by the next election in 2024.The Conservatives won December’s election with a majority of 80, while Labour lost 59 seats and saw its vote share fall by eight points. Labour leadership takes blame over result Miliband to join review of Labour’s election failure Starmer vows to lead party into ‘new era’ Departing Corbyn believes he won the fight Labour’s defeat led to the resignation of Jeremy Corbyn as party leader. He was replaced in April by Sir Keir Starmer.The Labour Together report, which was largely compiled before the coronavirus pandemic, warned that “disunity and division within our party over time has badly damaged our electoral fortunes”.And the commissioners of the review agreed it would “be a mistake to believe that a… Read full this story
- Scottish independence vote is price for support, SNP warns Labour
- Election: John McDonnell promises as much freedom of movement as possible as Labour kicks off campaign
- Removal of Nuke Subs From Scotland Under Labour-SNP Pact Would Threaten UK Security, Def Sec Warns
- General election LIVE: Nigel Farage 'outmanoeuvred' by Boris Johnson over Brexit U-turn
- European election results 2019 : John McDonnell backs second Brexit ref - after Farage wins landslide
- Theresa May's Snap Election: Is It Really About Brexit?
- Why should I not vote Conservative? 29 nasty policies you shouldn't forget in the 2017 general election
- Today’s weak economy shouldn’t aid the Tories: but that was true in 1992 too
- General election: Boris Johnson welcomes Nigel Farage's decision not to stand in seats won by Tories in 2017
- Nigel Farage's Brexit Party will not compete in Tory seats during upcoming UK election
Election 2019: New leader not enough to win again, Labour warned have 340 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at June 19, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.