Technology developed by Israeli cyber security company NSO Group was used by the Moroccan government to spy on journalist Omar Radi, a critic of Morocco’s human rights record, Amnesty International said on Monday. The organization found that Radi’s phone was subjected to several attacks using a “sophisticated new technique” that silently installed NSO’s Pegasus spyware. “The attacks occurred over a period when Radi was being repeatedly harassed by the Moroccan authorities, with one attack taking place just days after NSO pledged to stop its products being used in human rights abuses and continued until at least January 2020,” Amnesty said. If NSO won’t stop its technology from being used in such incidents, “then it should be banned from selling it to governments who are likely to use it for human rights abuses,” said Danna Ingleton, deputy director of Amnesty Tech. Several messages left with Moroccan government spokesperson Said Amzazi and human rights minister Mustapha Ramid were not immediately returned. The findings show that “Moroccan authorities have been using their surveillance technologies to the detriment of privacy rights and this is a blatant human rights violation,” Radi said. “We are afraid spying has become an instrument of governance for authorities.” An… Read full this story
- ISIS Using Rape, Torture and Sexual Slavery Against Women and Girls
- Amnesty anti-spyware app tells you if the government is watching you
- Amnesty's Detekt tool wants to help you thwart government spying
- 'Minor Botox' can't fix the government's flawed web snooping bill, warn campaigners
- Internet censorship plagues journalists at Olympics
- 1,168 keywords Skype uses to censor, monitor its Chinese users
- In Hacking Team's wake, FinFisher spyware rises in popularity with government users
- Top gov't spyware company hacked; Gamma's FinFisher leaked
- Is Skype snooping on your conversations?
- Snowden backs international campaign to outlaw mass surveillance
Morocco used NSO's spyware to snoop on journalist: Amnesty International have 293 words, post on www.gadgetsnow.com at June 22, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.