President Trump has told reporters he’s planning to ban TikTok from operating in the US. “As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the United States,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Friday night. Bloomberg reports that Trump indicated he’s ready to sign a document to order the ban as early as today, either via an executive order or emergency economic powers. “I will sign the document tomorrow,” said Trump on Friday night, indicating that a ban could take effect “essentially immediately.” The threat of a TikTok ban has been lingering since Secretary of State Mike Pompeo mentioned the possibility on July 7th, saying it was “something we’re looking at.” TikTok is a subsidiary of Beijing-based ByteDance, and critics have called out its privacy practices and potential ties to the Chinese government. Pompeo also compared TikTok to Huawei and ZTE, two Chinese companies that have been designated as threats to US national security. Reports on Friday suggested the Trump administration would potentially force TikTok’s Chinese owner to divest it. Such a move triggered rumors about Microsoft potentially acquiring TikTok’s US operations, a move that Trump appeared to downplay on Friday. “[It’s] not the deal that you… Read full this story
- President Trump says Fed Chair Powell's job is 'safe'
- Trump says peace talks with Taliban are "dead"
- Trump says Green New Deal would turn US into ‘hermit nation’
- Trump says Leahy letter pressured Ukraine to act on corruption
- Trump says administration wants to ban flavored e-cigarettes
- Trump ‘Muslim ban’ sees 80-year-old granddad detained at LA airport for NINE HOURS finally freed after family stage protest
- How President Trump’s entry ban rattled an Iranian-American immigration lawyer
- Donald Trump ‘Muslim ban’: USA captain Michael Bradley slams policy as protests erupt across country
- The Latest: Trump says religious freedom must be protected
- US judge grants emergency stay against US President Trump's immigration ban
President Trump says he will ban TikTok in the US today have 327 words, post on www.theverge.com at August 1, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.