Earlier this year, a heartfelt short film about an African American father who has to endure the (arduous and terrifying) task of doing his young daughter’s hair for the first time captured the entertainment industry’s attention by taking home an Oscar. The film, created and directed by Matthew A. Cherry, had originated as a Kickstarter campaign in 2017, where it raised $300,000—its goal was $75,000—and then was brought to the attention of Lion Forge Animation, which came on board as a producer. advertisement advertisement When it debuted online, the film, which is voiced by Issa Rae, went viral, and it was added as a short before theater screenings of Angry Birds 2. (Sony Pictures Animation also came on as a producer.) Then came the Academy Award for Best Animated Short. Hair Love not only made a name for Cherry, who has since forged a production deal with Warner Bros. Television, but for Lion Forge Animation, a mission-driven animation studio based in St. Louis that is dedicated to bringing diverse voices and stories to both small and large screens. The company is the only Black-owned animation studio in existence and was created as a sibling to Oni Lion Forge Publishing Company—an… Read full this story
- Kate Beckinsale poses in NOTHING but her underwear as stylists go to work on her hair and makeup
- All about Eve Babitz: The legendary Hollywood icon who once posed naked with Marcel Duchamp and had affairs with Warren Beatty, Harrison Ford and Jim Morrison opens up about freak accident that 'melted pantyhose to her legs' and covered her body in burns
- Dubai Autodrome: THE DEVIL’S OWN
- LeBron James, Hollywood producer: From 'Space Jam' to Showtime, every project attached to Lakers star
- Trackday Diaries: Highway star, Nashville my love, you choose my adventure.
- Corvette Stingray Convertible images mysteriously appear on web, so we add our own
- The Wrap: Aretha, Sam, Winx and the Wallabies (spot the odd man out)
- The Heroine Behind
- All the New and Returning Shows Coming to TV This Fall
- All the Incredible New Comic Series to Cozy Up With This Fall
The Black-owned animation studio behind ‘Hair Love’ is teaching Hollywood how to be authentic have 343 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at August 15, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.