A coronavirus advisor to president elect Joe Biden believes that shutting down businesses nationally for between four to six weeks could help the United States from entering ‘Covid hell’. Dr Michael Osterholm said Wednesday that a national lockdown may be the best way to keep hospitalizations and deaths down across the country until a vaccine can be distributed. He claims that the country’s economy will not suffer as a result, if enough money is borrowed to pay wages during the shutdowns. Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, is one of the public health experts that the Biden transition team has appointed to its advisory panel. Biden says that the advisory board ‘will help shape my approach to managing the surge in reported infections’. It comes as the US on Wednesday recorded the highest number of daily COVID-19 deaths in six months and infections and hospitalizations continued to spike to records highs across the country. The death toll spiked to 1,893 on Wednesday, which is the highest number of fatalities since May 8 during the initial peak of the outbreak. It puts the seven-day rolling average of fatalities back over 1,000 per day… Read full this story
- NSW says a stricter lockdown won't end Delta outbreak — but not everyone is convinced
- Has Germany paused its COVID-19 vaccination program for two weeks?
- Federal Government ramps up pressure on WA over closed borders, warns Clive Palmer legal action may succeed
- UK's daily Covid deaths jump 24% in a week to 140 while infections rise 5% to 38,281 and hospital admissions creep up again
- Covid cases rise 11% in a week to 37,011 while deaths jump by a tenth as UK records another 68 victims
- Covid-19: Why has Wales chosen a national lockdown?
- The White House, amid calls to step up its global Covid response, says it will invest $2.7 billion in vaccine production.
- The Biden administration issues a new eviction moratorium as the virus surges.
- Covid-19: Act like you've got the virus, government urges
- RIL AGM 2021 | From oxygen to vaccines, Reliance launched '5 missions' to combat COVID-19, says Nita Ambani
Biden's COVID chief says the US should go into a total national lockdown for six WEEKS to avoid 'virus hell' and the federal government can borrow to pay workers while country is shutdown have 343 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 12, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.