In a move completely counter to how governments around the world are encouraging the uptake of electric vehicles using rebates and subsidies, the South Australian government is set to be become the first in the world to implement a unique tax on them. Similar to the road users charges New Zealand places on diesel vehicles, the proposed new EV tax would initially raise close to AU$1 million annually, South Australian treasurer Rob Lucas said during the presentation of his state budget on Tuesday. The money would be used for road maintenance and the tax is expected to come into effect from July 2021. Given the relatively tiny take-up of EVs in Australia, the projected income from the tax will place a particularly heavy burden on owners – there were just 412 EVs sold in SA in 2019 and there are currently just over 2,000 registered in the state. According to the Australian Financial Review Lucas said “Someone needs to take the lead. Now’s the time to bite the bullet and introduce reform. There’s great logic to it.” “Someone has to pay for the road maintenance and upgrades and it should be the people using the roads,” he also said, adding… Read full this story
- Electric cars will spark tax hike: Billions of pounds in new road taxes will be needed to fuel Boris Johnson's green revolution, Government admits
- Cricket Australia aiming mass relocation of players into NSW after COVID-19 outbreak in South Australia: reports
- CA aiming mass relocation of players into NSW after COVID outbreak in South Australia:Reports
- COVID: CA could rush players out of South Australia
- China ramps up squeeze on Australia with 212% tax on wine
- Covid-19: South Australia coronavirus outbreak explodes to 17 cases
- Half-hour of horror: Severe storm rips through Australia's east coast - but wild weather will be replaced by a scorching heatwave with suffocating 41C temperatures
- 'We'll be left behind': Australia's electric car inertia is getting it nowhere
- Toxic smoke from Australia's deadly bushfire season killed over 400 people - more than 10 times the death toll from the blazes themselves
- Could the Government make a COVID-19 vaccine mandatory in Australia?
South Australia to apply road tax to EVs have 342 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at November 11, 2020. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.