Britain must go into an ‘Asia-style’ lockdown now with nurseries and places of worship closed, hotels commandeered as isolation centres and masks worn in every public space, experts have warned. Former WHO director Anthony Costello said only ‘a total clampdown’ would succeed in stopping the mutant strain of coronavirus ripping through the country. Professor of operational research at UCL Christina Pagel added that she thinks the current lockdown restrictions are likely to fail and measures seen in China and Vietnam should be brought in. In Wuhan, where the virus originated, authorities would go door-to-door to monitor people and made sure people with Covid self-isolated. Meanwhile in Vietnam people who were infected and those going into the country had to quarantine for two weeks. Despite around 90 per cent of the UK population sticking to regulations, the streets and public transport have remained busy this week, allowing the virus to spread. As a result, ministers are considering introducing tougher measures as part of the crackdown, including possibly making face masks mandatory in busy outdoor areas. In other coronavirus news: Rishi Sunak could delay tax rises until next autumn but will end Stamp Duty holiday in March; Police vow to issue fines ‘much… Read full this story
- Leaders of councils threatened by Leicester-style lockdowns reject the idea saying they are based on flawed data – so how bad is the situation in YOUR local area?
- Officials WILL look again at whether Britons should wear face coverings or masks in public, Matt Hancock reveals as top scientists argue they should be 'part of the new normal'
- More local lockdowns are 'just DAYS away' PHE sources claim, as experts warn Bradford and Doncaster could be next to be hit by restrictions after Leicester
- Coronavirus: 'Wear masks in public,' WHO advises
- Weekend lockdown breakers WILL be fined: Police warning as TWO Sage experts warn that social distancing is being eased too early and UK braces for mass rule breaking in scorching weather
- After coronavirus, the NHS's ability to provide care will be reduced, experts warn
- The Latest: Expert warns about police spreading virus
- Boris Johnson sparks confusion as No10 admits coronavirus threat level has NOT been reduced - as WHO expert warns UK needs to remain on 'constant defence' because disease has 'not gone away'
- We'll drink to that! Friends catch up over beers while others meet for coffee outside London café as life creeps back to normality after lockdown is eased
- 'Eat out to help out': Chancellor Rishi Sunak warns a generation of young people risk being 'lost' to coronavirus pandemic unless people start spending in pubs and restaurants
Britain must go into an 'Asia-style' lockdown NOW with places of worship closed, hotels commandeered as isolation centres and masks worn in every public space, experts warn have 426 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 10, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.