What just happened? The dark web has a deserved reputation for being home to criminal activities, but what is reported to have been its largest illegal marketplace has now been taken offline following an operation involving several countries and Europol. The European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation (Europol) writes that DarkMarket had almost 500,000 users, more than 2,400 sellers, and over 320,000 transactions. It had also seen over 4,65 Bitcoin and 12,800 Monero transferred, equal to around $170 million. As with the infamous Silk Road, DarkMarket users mainly traded drugs, counterfeit money, credit card details, SIM cards, and malware. German authorities headed the investigation that led to the arrest of a 34-year Australian citizen alleged to be the market operator near the German-Danish border. The suspect was brought before a judge but refused to speak, reports The Guardian. He is now in pre-trial detention. Officers have closed the marketplace and plan to use the 20 servers in Moldova and the Ukraine to investigate moderators, buyers, and sellers. DarkMarket came to German authorities’ attention during an investigation against the web-hosting service Cyberbunker—located in former NATO bunkers in Germany and Holland—which hosted sites including The Pirate Bay and WikiLeaks. “A shared… Read full this story
- Australians are among 300 people arrested as police target a South Korea dark web child pornography ring
- Feds Bust ‘Largest Dark Web Child Porn Marketplace’
- Feds take down the world's 'largest dark web child porn marketplace'
- Feds bust massive 'dark web child porn marketplace,' announce 337 arrests of suspected site users
- Dark web child abuse: Hundreds arrested across 38 countries
- Officials arrest 338 in child porn bust on dark web
- Dark web child porn bust leads to 338 arrests worldwide
- World’s largest child porn bust: 100s arrested, ringleader charged after feds crack dark web bitcoin transactions
- Hundreds held worldwide in dark web child pornography crackdown
- Hundreds busted in connection to ‘vile’ dark web child porn site
International operation brings down dark web's largest marketplace have 316 words, post on www.techspot.com at January 13, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.