WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that President Trump should be removed from office after Wednesday’s riot at the U.S. Capitol. The San Francisco Democrat said at a news conference that if the Cabinet and Vice President Mike Pence do not use the 25th Amendment procedures to declare the president incapacitated and install Pence as acting president, the House could proceed with impeachment to try to remove Trump. She accused Trump of committing an “act of sedition” and inciting the riot that overtook the Capitol on Wednesday. The mob of violent Trump supporters overran police guarding the building after he urged them to march on the Capitol at a rally nearby. “Yesterday the president of the United States incited an armed insurrection against America,” Pelosi said. “The gleeful desecration of the U.S. Capitol, which is the temple of our American democracy, and the violence targeting Congress are horrors that will forever stain our nation’s history. Instigated by the president of the United States — that’s why it’s such a stain.” Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York made the same call Thursday. Schumer said in a separate news conference that he and Pelosi tried to call Pence… Read full this story
- None of Our Business - When Domestic Violence Comes to Work
- Nancy Pelosi says she will NOT hold an immediate House vote on impeachment in line with White House demands and says: 'We're not here to call bluffs. We're here to find the truth'
- Pelosi says House won’t vote to formalize impeachment inquiry
- Congress struggles to counter Donald Trump on Syria
- Nancy Pelosi: No vote on Trump impeachment inquiry
- Pelosi holding off on an impeachment vote for now
- Pelosi holds off on holding vote for impeachment inquiry despite Republican demands to do so
- Ex US Ambassador to Ukraine Tells House Impeachment Investigators Trump Dumped Her Based on ‘False Claims’
- Timeline Of The GOP’s Relationship With Trump
- Republican senators both blast and praise Trump's Syria policy
Pelosi calls for removing Trump from office after Capitol violence have 327 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 7, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.