The Australian space and satellite sector has urged for the Australian government to introduce policies and regulations to ensure there is compliance within the industry, without hindering potential growth opportunities. These calls have been vocalised by the likes of Optus, Nova Systems, and Vocus, with each making submissions as part of a Standing Committee inquiry into developing Australia’s space industry. Vocus noted in its submission [PDF] that the Australian government should pursue policy and regulatory settings for the space and satellite sector that develop and maintain sovereign capability for both civil and defence space applications, while also incentivising private sector investment and local industry development. “Government policy settings should be set in such a way as to promote and maximise private investment and develop private industry. Private sector investment is fundamental to enabling competition, building scale, and developing capability which will deliver the best outcomes for consumers, businesses, and government agencies,” Vocus stated. Similar recommendations [PDF] were made by Optus, which highlighted it was “important that Australia maintains an Australian-based and operated satellite capacity, particularly with regards to national security capabilities”, and urged for the Commonwealth to make it a priority while also ensuring that administrative and regulatory frameworks are… Read full this story
- Orbits explained: It's hard to get into space -- but great once you're there
- The US should negotiate a ban on basing weapons in space
- 'We've been FORGOTTEN': Furious travel bosses blast government for 'overlooking' beleaguered sector after holidays are ruled 'not valid' reason to leave UK in latest borders crackdown
- Union Budget 2021: Sector wise highlights
- Global climate policy: Why 2021 is the 'biggest year ever'
- Climate policy in 2021 'key' to hitting net-zero pledges
- Australia a handbrake on clean car ambitions
- What the shift in Senate control means for marijuana policy reform
- OPINION: Budget 2021 expectations for the power sector
- ICT: Sector in need of stability in 2021
Australia's space sector wants policies introduced to ensure satellite sovereignty have 301 words, post on www.zdnet.com at February 15, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.