Communications Minister Paul Fletcher has signalled the government’s intentions to watch the voluntary code of practice , which aims to stem disinformation on digital platforms that operate in Australia. The code was prepared by the Digital Industry Group Inc (DiGi), a non-profit industry association advocating for the digital industry in Australia. It comes in response to the Australian government asking the digital industry in December 2019 to develop a code in response to policy as set out in Re g ulating in the Digital Age: Government Response and Implementation Roadmap for the Digital Platforms Inquiry . DiGi volunteered to develop the draft for the industry. All signatories — Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Redbubble, TikTok, and Twitter — have committed to the Australian Code of Practice on Disinformation and Misinformation. They have also committed to releasing an annual transparency report about their efforts under the code. Speaking on Tuesday at a press conference on Facebook restoring news back to its platform in Australia, Fletcher said the code being voluntary reflects a recommendation from the ACCC’s Digital Platforms Inquiry. “We’ve made it plain that we will review the performance, the Australian Communications and Media Authority will report to me in the middle of… Read full this story
- Anti-encryption law won't work, messaging app developer tells Australia
- Facebook doesn't have all the answers, says Clegg, as social media giant clamps down on political ads
- Commission hits out at Facebook for lack of data in disinformation report
- MPs back calls to fine firms for late payments to suppliers
- Social networks show little regard for security of their users, says digital minister
- POLITICO Sunday Crunch, presented by BP: ISIS fighters — Irish backstop plan — Airbus and Brexit
- Is Facebook regulated, how has it violated data privacy laws and how is it tackling fake news?
- Some EU leaders are the "origin of fake news", says Juncker
- Councillor found guilty of being ‘a little bit naughty’
- 'Digital gangsters': UK parliament slams Facebook on data protection, disinformation
Australia will consider 'other measures' if voluntary misinformation code fails have 318 words, post on www.zdnet.com at February 23, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.