Microsoft Corp’s failure to fix known problems with its cloud software facilitated the massive SolarWinds hack that compromised at least nine federal government agencies, according to security experts and the office of U.S. Senator Ron Wyden. A vulnerability first publicly revealed by researchers in 2017 allows hackers to fake the identity of authorized employees to gain access to customers’ cloud services. The technique was one of many used in the SolarWinds hack. Wyden, who has faulted tech companies on security and privacy issues as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, blasted Microsoft for not doing more to prevent forged identities or warn customers about it. “The federal government spends billions on Microsoft software,” Wyden told Reuters ahead of a SolarWinds hearing on Friday in the House of Representatives. “It should be cautious about spending any more before we find out why the company didn’t warn the government about the hacking technique that the Russians used, which Microsoft had known about since at least 2017,” he said. Microsoft President Brad Smith will testify on Friday before the House committee investigating the SolarWinds hacks. U.S. officials have blamed Russia for the massive intelligence operation that penetrated SolarWinds, which makes software to… Read full this story
- Senate Intel wants action to thwart Russian meddling in 2020
- US midterm election results live: Democrats win House but Republicans hold Senate
- Analysis: Trump’s impeachment defense strategy is to delegitimize the process
- Russiagate Is Dead
- A New Cold War? U.S. Withdrawal from Nuke Treaty Worries Europeans
- UPDATE 2-FAA must ramp up staffing to oversee airplane certification after 737 MAX -panel
- Democrats are trying to maintain the early momentum of their impeachment gambit by flinging new subpoenas at Trump's administration
- Trump lays into Democrats as impeachment net tightens
- POLITICO Monday Morning Tech: Digital tax showdown — Fake news snafu — Vestager’s invites
- US midterm elections live: Donald Trump congratulates himself on 'Big Win'
Microsoft failed to shore up defenses that could have limited SolarWinds hack: US senator have 309 words, post on www.gadgetsnow.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.