Note: Just before midnight on Sunday, Texas Democrats in the Legislature staged a walkout to force the temporary failure of the Republican election bill. Read more . The Republican-controlled Texas Legislature was racing against the clock on Sunday night to pass a sweeping overhaul of the state's election laws that would rubber-stamp some of the most rigid voting restrictions in the country, but Democrats were pledging an all-out fight to try to stall the bill and prevent it from passing by a midnight deadline. Though Republicans control both chambers, Democrats were becoming increasingly bullish on their chances of delaying passage of the bill and preventing it from coming to a floor vote in the House through either legislative maneuvers or a lengthy debate. Earlier on Sunday, after a legislative power play by Republicans that led to an all-night session and hours of impassioned debate and objections from Democrats, the Senate passed the bill. Republicans in the House professed confidence that the bill would still pass on Sunday. Failure to meet the deadline would represent a setback for G.O.P. lawmakers determined to usher in a raft of new limits to voting , and would force Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, to… Read full this story
- WHIP LIST: The 228 House Democrats backing an impeachment inquiry
- House Democrats blur lines on support for impeachment
- Here are the 95 Democrats who voted to support impeachment
- Inside the progressive hunt for vulnerable House Democrats
- Post-midterm outlook in US: 'It's going to be crazy for the next 2 years'
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Better Medicare Alliance - Dems shift strategy on impeachment vote
- Ten notable Democrats who do not favor impeachment
- 2020 Presidential Endorsements
- Feeding the hungry was life's work for 'citizen of the world' Mickey Leland
- The Hill's Morning Report — Presented by Better Medicare Alliance — A new phase for impeachment
Texas G.O.P. Races to Pass Voting Bill as State Democrats Push Back have 299 words, post on www.nytimes.com at May 30, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.