While our species was spreading across Eurasia and briefly sharing a continent with the last of the Neanderthals, someone took the time to carefully shape an oval pendant out of mammoth ivory, then decorated it with a looping dotted line. The pendant, unearthed at Stajnia Cave in Poland, was recently radiocarbon dated to around 41,500 years old. That makes it the oldest known example of a Paleolithic fashion that reached from France to Siberia between 42,000 and 30,000 years ago. An ancient ivory pendant Archaeologists excavating the cave found the ivory pendant broken into two pieces. When reassembled, the fragments form most of an oval, with one end still broken and missing. About 50 puncture marks dot its surface, forming a sharply curved, looping shape. The pendant's edges are smooth and rounded, and although its surface is cracked and weathered after tens of thousands of years in the ground, it's easy to see that it must once have been an elaborate, lovely piece of jewelry—or, as archaeologists say, "portable art." Today, we have no way to know what the dotted curving lines on the mammoth ivory pendant meant to the people who made and wore the object. Those details are… Read full this story
- Ice Age Stonehenge? Mystery 25,000-Year-Old Mammoth Bone Circle Discovered in Russia
- 900-year-old chess piece fetches more than Rs 6 crore in auction
- Community Surprises 3-Year-Old Despite His Cancelled Birthday Party
- 10-Year-Old Named Clark Kent Leaps Record Michael Phelps Held for 23 Years
- Trnava archaeologists made a 6,000-year-old discovery
- Billionaire Kylie Jenner Bought Her Christmas Decorations from Target — Shop Her Favorites!
- Kim Kardashian keeps her children entertained by decorating cookies with them amid social isolation
- People are decorating their windows with hearts and messages of hope right now
- Photos: Home-Bound Americans Put Up Christmas Decorations Amid COVID-19 Crisis
- Woman who keeps a nine-month-old PUMA as a pet reveals the big cat was 'scared' of her tiny Pomeranian when it first moved in - but now they're 'best friends'
This decorated mammoth ivory pendant is 41,500 years old have 326 words, post on arstechnica.com at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.