EU carbon border tax vote result ‘not predicted’ says expert Sign up for our news briefing, including a daily special Russia-Ukraine edition SUBSCRIBE Invalid email We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info In a string of votes in the European Parliament, MEPs rejected three pieces of legislation to reform the EU's carbon energy market. The vote split into two main political groups: a conservative coalition that sought to defend the industry from more burdensome climate measures and a left-wing bloc rejecting a slower pace of decarbonisation. In the wide-ranging reform, the most salient measure was a carbon border tax on imports based on the number of carbon emissions resulting from the production of the product in question. While the left-leaning group came out in favour of slashing carbon emissions by 67 percent this decade, the conservative group sought to water it down to a 63 percent target. Eventually, the climate reform ran aground and will be reviewed in committee – dealing a blow to Ursula Von der… Read full this story
- Mike DeWine leads Republicans to a big day in Ohio: Capitol Letter
- Pedigree and political ambition launched Walker Stapleton into the treasurer’s office, but state pension reform ‘put him on the map’
- Trump endorses several Minnesota Republicans during raucous Rochester rally
- How Trump's energy, excesses drove GOP's erratic campaign
- Women Lead a Parade of Victories to Help Democrats Win House
- Women lead a parade of victories to help Democrats win the House
- Pot legalization leads as 2 voting rights issues prevail
- POLITICO Playbook: In Philadelphia with 8 days until Election Day
- Arizona Lawmakers Cut Education Budgets. Then Teachers Got Angry.
- Here Are the Most Important Ballot Initiatives Around the Country
'Raucous day' Von der Leyen's energy reform 'defeated' in split EU vote - 'Victory' for US have 306 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 9, 2022. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.