FALSE eyelashes have become increasingly popular in recent years, but the trend has a strange and painful history. Its popularity grew in the late 1950s when celebrity figures like Marilyn Monroe and Rita Hayworth brought them into fashion. Why were false eyelashes invented? False eyelashes date back to the Ancient Romans when a Roman author, Gaius Plinius Secundus who went by the name Pliny the elder, linked shortened eyelashes to a woman’s chastity. He falsely claimed excessive sex caused women's eyelashes to fall out, resulting in women striving to keep their eyelashes long to prove their chastity. The introduction of fake eyelashes was in direct contrast to the 1400s when women plucked their eyelashes out to emphasize their forehead which was considered their primary beauty feature at the time. It was decreed by the Church that eyelashes and revealed hair of any kind were considered too erotic. READ MORE ON BEAUTY HIT & MISS I’m tested Primark beauty products – here are the ones to bag & those to miss BARGAIN BEAUTY I’m a beauty pro, drugstore dupes for designer makeup like Charlotte Tilbury However, Pliny the Elder, who died in 49AD wrote: "eyelashes fell out from excessive sex and… Read full this story
- How to Get the Most Beautiful Eyelashes | You Should Know
- 8 Best Eyelash Curlers: How to get better lashes for volume and length without the extensions
- Woman forced to trim her EYELASHES after growth serum makes them look like extra-long spider legs
- Woman leaves eyelash appointment with just one set of lashes after discovering the technician was dating her boyfriend
- Girl's eyelashes ripped out by double-ended dildo at Bongo's Bingo
- Why was iPhone X so successful at $999 despite a mountain of false reporting?
- Mum left in hysterics as son raids teenage sisters’ make-up bags to give himself a brow makeover
- Coronation Street viewers open-mouthed as Hope Stape shows off dramatic ‘Love Island’ transformation
- Happy Birthday Disha Patani: 5 Stunning Eye Makeup Ideas From The Bollywood Beauty
- Paolo Ballesteros bonds with daughter over ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race, makeup: ‘She gets it’
Why were false eyelashes invented? have 338 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.