Millions of Americans share data daily on the video-streaming app TikTok—data the federal government considers a national security risk because the app is owned by China, a foreign adversary. Now it has been left up to President Joe Biden to figure out a way to minimize the national security risks without forcing the sale of TikTok or taking away one of America's favorite apps, as former President Donald Trump tried and failed to do in 2020. Today, The New York Times reported that Biden may be close to arriving at a potential solution to the TikTok problem. "Four people with knowledge of the discussions" told NYT that over the past few months, the Biden administration has drafted a preliminary agreement with TikTok "to resolve national security concerns." Because the negotiation is confidential, all sources requested anonymity, and not much is yet known about the terms. However, there are three main areas of change in the current draft. The first focuses on preventing China-based employees from accessing American data by storing all TikTok data solely on US servers. The second is designed to block Chinese propaganda or disinformation campaigns by granting US-based Oracle power to monitor what's recommended by algorithms. The… Read full this story
- US election 2020- Donald Trump vs Joe Biden: A look at Republican and Democratic parties’ vision for America
- 5 things to know for August 31: Protests, coronavirus, election 2020, Belarus, TikTok
- Microsoft (still) in talks to buy TikTok, aims to close the deal by September
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Pence rips Biden as radical risk
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump accepts GOP nomination: 'Best is yet to come'
- A Black man shot in the back, a teenage shooting suspect, a city in flames: The week that shook Kenosha and the country
- Facebook ‘dismantles Russian propaganda network’ designed to brainwash lefties with fake news stories
- Facebook BANS political ads and ‘viral messages’ as Mark Zuckerberg warns of ‘civil unrest’
TikTok can keep operating in US under deal being worked out with Biden have 331 words, post on arstechnica.com at September 26, 2022. This is cached page on xBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.